View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: Boston Red Sox versus Baltimore Orioles - September 16, 1975 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

One of Looie's greatest games.

— Randy R Hill, 02/06/2016 at 11:35 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: New York Yankees versus Chicago White Sox - July 22, 1965 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Tom Tresh also led off the bottom of the 10th and hit a walk-off homer. I was there. It was July 21st, not 22nd. And I believe it was Pete Ward, not Don Buford, that he robbed of the home run in the top of the inning.

— Ray Hitchell, 01/18/2016 at 5:16 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Atlanta Braves versus St. Louis Cardinals - April 29, 2011 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Hoping to catch a game this season with my photo of Yadi at bat featured in this blog post. Our kids were ecstatic to see a win at that game. Thanks for the memories!!

— Stephanie Finnell, 01/10/2016 at 11:27 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Los Angeles Dodgers versus Montreal Expos - July 28, 1991 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

YES A PERFECT GAME IS EXCITING TO FOLLOW AS IT DEVELOPES DURING THE GAME.ALSO NO HITTERS ALSO GENERATE EXCITEMENT AS THEY PROGRESS TO A CLIMAX. THE PROBLEM I HAVE THERE RECENTLY SEEMS TO BE TOO MANY. THIS SEEMS TO DILUTE THE FEATS OF SOME OF ITS GLORY. MARTINEZ DESERVES HIS YES YES

— JIM MARTIN, 11/05/2015 at 7:41 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Cubs vs Expos

AS A CUBS FAN THIS IS SOMETHING WORTH RESEARCHING. IT CERTAINLY WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT VICTORY AND HAD THAT BEEN THE CUSTOM AT THAT TIME THE VICTORY SONG WOULD HAVE BEEN SUNG. TOO BAD SOME OF THOSE RUNS COULDNT HAVE BEEN SAVED TO BE SCORED AT THE METS GAMES 2015

— JIM MARTIN, 11/04/2015 at 8:08 AM

Re: 1967 AL Pennant Race. October 1st. The Red Sox win the pennant behind Lonborg's 22nd win and 4 for 4 day by Carl Yastrzemski, who also wins the triple crown.

BECAUSE I HAVE STATED IN THIS POST AND OTHERS ON THIS SITE THAT I WAS TEAM MATE OF DEAN CHANCE ON HIGH SCHOOL TEAM I WANT TO EXPRESS MY REGRET ON HIS PASSING RECENTLY. DEAN--- IT WAS ALWAYS EXCITING TO ME AS A FAN THAT I WAS YOUR FRIEND AND HAVE MANY MANY FOND MEMORIES.OF BASEBALL RIP

— JIM MARTIN, 11/03/2015 at 9:47 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Cubs vs Expos

Does anyone remember the game between the Cubs and the Montreal Expos around the 80's in which the Cubs came from way behind in the 9th inning to win the game? Cubs were down by about 8 to 12 runs. Most fans had left the park by late in the game when the Cubs finally got a hit with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. Game was uneventful for the Cubs in which Montreal dominated the game. I'm looking for the date of this game and if there is any available article out there about it.

— Mark Secco, 10/22/2015 at 11:35 PM

I consider myself a die hard Dodger fan. On July 28, 1991, is the day I realized that the game of baseball was bigger than anyone team. I found myself rooting for Dennis Martinez to finish off the Dodgers, which he did in impressive fashion. If memory serves me, I am pretty sure, that both starting pitchers in this game, had perfect games alive through 5 complete. However, Mike Morgan gave up a hit to the lead off hitter (Ron Hassey) in the top of the 6th. Once Morgan gave up that hit , most of the 45,560 people in Dodger stadium began to root for Dennis Martinez to complete the perfecto.

— Brian Figueroa, 10/19/2015 at 4:41 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Milwaukee Braves versus St. Louis Cardinals - April 24, 1957

This was a close game and was tied 7-7 until Braves catcher Del Crandall won the game in the bottom of the 9th with a home run. The Braves also got HR's from Adcock. Aaron and Mathews. Del Ennis had one for the Cardinals. Stan Musial led the Cardinals with 3 singles.Taylor Phillips got the win for the Braves.

— Rich Bell, 10/09/2015 at 4:59 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Detroit Tigers versus California Angels - May 11, 1984 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Beautiful night and the night The Wave was brought to Tiger Stadium. A bunch of my fellow students from MSU went to the game and sat in the bleachers where a bunch of UM students were also seated. They yelled over to us to help them get a wave going so we did. We rocked the stadium all night and it continued all the way through the World Series.

— Robert Gladstone, 10/06/2015 at 1:44 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Recent Conversations

New York Yankees versus Chicago White Sox - July 22, 1965

Over the years the media has tried to illustrate some of the greatest outfield web gems but have they never even mentioned the catch that Tom Tresh made in this game. While the Yankees were on there way down as a dominate force in baseball that season and for that matter over the next 11, I can't understand how no one ever mentioned this game. Game was tied and went to the 10th inning. With two outs and men on base, Chicago's Buford sent a line shot to left field that was headed for the stands. Running parallel to the old Yankee Stadium fence, Tresh at the last moment DIVED into the stands and caught what would have been a tie breaking home run to end the inning. WPIX was the broadcast station and they must have replayed that catch about 4 times that night and replayed it the following day again!!! Now anyone that knows baseball could tell you that Tresh was a very good outfielder but this catch would rival or best anything I have seen since. Especially when in the Yankees part of the

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Los Angeles Dodgers versus Montreal Expos - July 28, 1991

I was there with my family. I have 4 ticket stubs from that perfect game. I am a Braves fan, and was sitting amongst Dodger Fans. After 7 innings I convinced the Dodger fans to start pulling for Dennis. History was in the making. I am happy to say, the Dodge fans did start pulling for the Expos. Good job. I talk about this game to this day. Cheers all, Rod

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Cubs vs Expos

• • •

1 response. Join this conversation ►

In July there was a terrible civil disturbance and the city was a scary place all of a sudden. If there was not a riot, there would have been 55,000 at the park. People were afraid to go downtown as it was too soon after a week of looting, fires, and 44 people killed. The weather caused the Tigers to play back to back twin bills and in the second game on Saturday, their bullpen blew a four run lead, including a bonehead play by pitcher Hank Aguirre who had a chance to turn a double play on a comebacker to the mound and instead threw home for a bases loaded force out. The Angels then knocked in the go ahead and winning runs afterwards. It was a game Detroit should have won but the Angels and Bill RIgney really were geared up to spoil the Tigers chances. Marginal left hand hitters like Roger Repoz, Jimmie Hall, and a fair ball player like Don Mincher just loved Tiger Stadium and it's inviting right field porch in the series. With the split on Saturday, the Tigers had to win both games o

• • •

7 responses. Join this conversation ►

New York Yankees versus Cleveland Indians - July 16, 1959

I remember this game like it was yesterday. It was the first time I went to Yankee Stadium. I was 10 years old. In the 10th inning I left my seat and walked to the front railing close to home plate on the first base side. I stood there and watched the game. I was as close as you can get to home plate. Nobody bothered me probably because I was so young. Here's my problem: I have a vivid memory of Tony Kubek hitting a single and being on first prior to Mantle's home run that ended the game. However all the accounts of the game have Bobby Richardson hitting the single before Mantle's homer. I was a yankee fan since the age of eight and knew the players well. Kubek batted left and Richardson right plus Kubek was taller. I certainly could not mistake one for the other. I am very puzzled by this. I can't believe my memory could be faulty since it has always been vivid in my mind since that day. Could you help?

• • •

The best thing to do is to retrieve the box score and play-by-play from baseball-reference.com. It shows that Richardson singled and Mantle homered. Kubek was removed from the game during the top of the 8th inning, most likely due to an injury.

4 responses. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device