View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: Washington Senators versus New York Yankees - July 4, 1958 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Mickey Mantle should have won the MVP award in 1958

— Richard Blinkhorn, 06/15/2015 at 8:49 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago Cubs versus Pittsburgh Pirates - June 25, 1972 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

In the top of the sixth. Clemente hit a one-out single. Project Retrosheet incorrectly describes Stargell's hit by reporting, "Stargell hits a line drive into left field. The ball bounces into the stands for a ground rule double. Clemente moves to third." (Think about that. How could a ball bounce into the left field stands at Wrigley Field?) On the ball Stargell hit, someone opened a door that was adjacent to the left-field line, and the ball went through the doorway. The door was then closed. There was no ground rule for this situation, but the umpires ruled that Stargell had to stop at second, and Clemente would have gotten no farther than third if the door had not been opened while the ball was in play.

— Richard Zaborsky, 05/18/2015 at 7:39 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Minnesota Twins versus Detroit Tigers - July 29, 1969 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Remember this double header pretty well. Tigers @ Twins
with Lolich & McLain going for Detroit. I figured a sweep. It was a sweep all right. Twins swept Detroit.

— John O'Dea, 05/14/2015 at 9:28 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Dierker loses perfect game in 9th v. Mets 1966

See my comment under "die loses"

— Gordonludwig , 05/02/2015 at 8:08 PM

Die rare loses perfect game in 9th v. Mets 1966

I was an 11 year old and "think " I remember like yesterday.
Question is, after Bressoud moves to 3d on wild pitch, don't Astros bring in infield, and Hunt's " line drive to right" really a hard hit grounder that Morgan misses after going to a knee?

— GordonLudwig , 05/02/2015 at 8:06 PM

Re: California Angels versus Cleveland Indians - August 16, 1969 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Right around this time on a sunday afternoon, The Angels won a 3-1 game when Aurelio Rodriguez got their only hit of the game, a wind blown triple in old colossal Cleveland Municipal. Jim McGlothlin had gone 4 months without a victory. I will look thru this site to confirm what i'm trying to share here.

— rg, 04/23/2015 at 11:16 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Cincinnati Reds versus Atlanta Braves - September 5, 1969 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I was there and ran on the field from my third base seat. I put a beer cup on 2nd base, ran to the right field exit, and suddenly stopped to shake hands with Hank Aaron. Jumped the short railing back into the stands, and quickly grabbed by security. Off to jail by the Cincinnati PD, and faced with trespassing and Disorder Conduct. About 40 members of my “THE Club” took a bus from Skips Tavern in St. Bernard, Ohio to see the Reds and Braves ballgame at Crosley Field. Since I did not return to the bus they figure out I had a problem. On their return, they passed a hat and a few sober ones traveled to the police station and bailed me out. Saw Judge Nurre the next morning the judge dropped the trespassing and I pleaded no contest on the DC. The story would come up every so often among my friends but I never told it outside my circle until I retired. Now it is a great memory and a fun story from September 5, 1969.

— Bud Leonhardt, 04/19/2015 at 4:12 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Brooklyn Dodgers versus New York Giants - May 26, 1957 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This was the first game I ever attended. How well I remember that first glimpse of emerald green grass at Ebbets Field. My father bought two box seats behind first base, and we were close enough to Gil Hodges that he could hear an appreciative fan near us. (He turned in our direction, smiling.) Snider homered for the Dodgers, Ray Jablonski for the Jints, and the Bums prevailed. In my memory the final score was 5-3. Oh yes, the Dodgers' starting pitcher was a local boy who had played baseball and basketball at Lafayette High School: Sandy Koufax.

— David Lehman, 04/18/2015 at 11:54 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Baltimore Orioles versus Boston Red Sox - April 12, 1975 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

How many pitches did Reggie Cleveland throw in his 12 inning performance if you know?

— Scott Remy, 04/11/2015 at 12:25 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Philadelphia Phillies versus Brooklyn Dodgers - September 30, 1951 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This is the first game I ever saw! I was 8 years old, sat in the left field upper deck. What I remember is the Campanella triple to center right under me and Robinson's home run in the 14th to my right.

— bill mcknight, 03/11/2015 at 9:56 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Recent Conversations

Chicago Cubs versus Pittsburgh Pirates - June 25, 1972

The first ball game I ever attended.

• • •

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Die rare loses perfect game in 9th v. Mets 1966

I was an 11 year old and "think " I remember like yesterday.

• • •

See my comment under "die loses"

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Chicago Cubs versus Philadelphia Phillies - July 9, 1961

A sunday double header.Cubs won both games.Phils were in middle of 23 game losing streak.Ernie Banks had 2 hits each game.He was alert at ss position. He roamed around as if to get in best fielding spot at all times.Ball in 2nd game got lost in the vines in center for ground rule double.Games were typical for wrigley field was both teams hit and scored a lot of runs

• • •

Ernie Banks as a great player and an even greater human offers as an example of what can be achieved. He was given opportunity that had not been there for him until 1947 when there was change made for the good of all.The important thing was he had ability to excel,to have the ability to become the super star he was.was always the best ambassador for all!!!

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Cleveland Indians versus Detroit Tigers - July 4, 1958

Ty Cobb is in attendance. He accompanied the Detroit Tigers after the old timers game on June 28 in Detroit's Briggs field. Detroit's third baseman, Ozzie Virgil, breaks a bat. Ty Cobb autographs the bat for a Cleveland Transit Authority bus driver, Joseph Mizick.

• • •

Anyone remeber this game? Any witnesses to Virgil breaking a bat?? Does anyone remember Ty Cobb at this game????

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Cincinnati Reds versus Chicago Cubs - June 1, 1957

I believe this was the first major league game I attended. I was too young to remember much about it but my older brother told me about the lop-sided score in later years. Interesting that Joe Nuxhall got the save when he came into the game with a 22-2 lead. Also the simulation here is inaccurate as the Reds home dugout was on the 3rd base side at Crosley Field.

• • •

I was at that game. It was a Knothole Club game so I got a free ticket. Hal Jeffcoat hit a home run in the game.

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device