View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: THE DAY OF THE SLIDER---09/17/1951

When I told him that I just wanted to ask him something about the slider, he motioned to me to follow him away from the crowd at the clubhouse entrance and out in front of the ballpark, and he took some minutes to show me how to throw a good one.That encounter led to almost four years of some of the best pitching instruction one could ever hope to get, and I became a better pitcher as a result. I will always remember that.

— Zita Carno, 04/13/2016 at 5:27 PM

THE DAY OF THE SLIDER---09/17/1951

This was a game I will never forget, on a day which I will never forget. I was sixteen, and on this Monday I played hooky from school to go to the Yankees-Indians game, and I watched as Ed Lopat outpitched Bob Lemon for what had to be the gazillionth time, 2-1. I had an ulterior motive; I had been burning with curiosity about the slider, which I had heard a lot about and had seen thrown in games, and I thought that maybe I could ask one of the Yankee pitchers about it. The one I asked turned out to be Lopat, and after the game I caught up with him and just wanted to know if I could ask him something. He stopped n his tracks, looked at me, and then with four quiet words he had me in the palm of his hand. He said, in a calm voice that relaxed me immediately, "Go ahead---I'm listening." When I

— Zita Carnoscroogie, 04/13/2016 at 5:12 PM

THE DAY OF THE SLIDER---09/17/1951

— Zita Carnoscroogie, 04/13/2016 at 5:12 PM

Re: Brooklyn Dodgers versus Philadelphia Phillies - October 1, 1950 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I was lucky enough to get to know Robin Roberts when h came to Vermont to help raise money for the Vermont Mountaineers in the Collegiate League. At dinner one night I asked him what Eddie Sawyer said to him after the first two men had gotten on base with the score tied 1-1 and the pennant on the line. I remember screaming into the radio"Leave Robbie in". Sawyer came to the mound and Gene Kelly, the Phillies announcer remarked that it was a short visit and he left Roberts to face Jackie Robinson. Roberts smiled and said Sawyer said two words-Walk Robinson. He did and after an unsuccessful sacrifice, Richie Ashburn threw out Cal Abrams trying to score from 2nd and Roberts got out of the jam, leading to Dick Sisler's 3 run homer in the 10th. By the way, Roberts had turned 24 on Sept. 30 and pitched the full 10 innings on 2 days rest.RIP, Robin, you gave my dad and I one of the great moments that we shared in front of that big console radio.

— Allan Mackey, 04/13/2016 at 2:20 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Pictues - Los Angeles Dodgers versus Arizona Diamondbacks - April 5, 1999 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Hi, Do you have any photos of this game? I am especially looking for photos of Left Field where I was sitting. We created the wave and had a blast at this game. I'm looking for any photos of the wave or any photos that might show our group in Left Field. Please send them if you do.

— Chris, 04/03/2016 at 9:51 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: New York Mets versus Baltimore Orioles - October 16, 1969 - World Series Lineup and other Game Information

Looking for Shaun Fitsmaurice

— Barry MacMaster, 03/28/2016 at 2:12 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: New York Yankees versus Kansas City Royals - July 24, 1983 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This is the infamous "Pine Tar Game".

— Isaac Pasley, 03/25/2016 at 2:56 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Baltimore Orioles versus Chicago White Sox - April 15, 1954 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

My first Oriole MLB game. I had been a fan of the AAA Orioles for 7 or so years when the Orioles made the show in 1954.
I sat in the upper deck third base side and had a clear view of Etch's first Oriole home run.

— Stephen Gunther, 03/19/2016 at 9:47 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Colorado Rockies versus Pittsburgh Pirates - August 3, 2001 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Any way to find actual footage of this whole game?

— Andy, 03/14/2016 at 2:33 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Boston Red Sox versus Baltimore Orioles - September 16, 1975 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

One of Looie's greatest games.

— Randy R Hill, 02/06/2016 at 11:35 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Recent Conversations

THE DAY OF THE SLIDER---09/17/1951

• • •

1 response. Join this conversation ►

THE DAY OF THE SLIDER---09/17/1951

No responses yet. Join the conversation ►

New York Yankees versus Chicago White Sox - July 22, 1965

Over the years the media has tried to illustrate some of the greatest outfield web gems but have they never even mentioned the catch that Tom Tresh made in this game. While the Yankees were on there way down as a dominate force in baseball that season and for that matter over the next 11, I can't understand how no one ever mentioned this game. Game was tied and went to the 10th inning. With two outs and men on base, Chicago's Buford sent a line shot to left field that was headed for the stands. Running parallel to the old Yankee Stadium fence, Tresh at the last moment DIVED into the stands and caught what would have been a tie breaking home run to end the inning. WPIX was the broadcast station and they must have replayed that catch about 4 times that night and replayed it the following day again!!! Now anyone that knows baseball could tell you that Tresh was a very good outfielder but this catch would rival or best anything I have seen since. Especially when in the Yankees part of the

• • •

Tom Tresh also led off the bottom of the 10th and hit a walk-off homer. I was there. It was July 21st, not 22nd. And I believe it was Pete Ward, not Don Buford, that he robbed of the home run in the top of the inning.

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Los Angeles Dodgers versus Montreal Expos - July 28, 1991

I was there with my family. I have 4 ticket stubs from that perfect game. I am a Braves fan, and was sitting amongst Dodger Fans. After 7 innings I convinced the Dodger fans to start pulling for Dennis. History was in the making. I am happy to say, the Dodge fans did start pulling for the Expos. Good job. I talk about this game to this day. Cheers all, Rod

• • •

YES A PERFECT GAME IS EXCITING TO FOLLOW AS IT DEVELOPES DURING THE GAME.ALSO NO HITTERS ALSO GENERATE EXCITEMENT AS THEY PROGRESS TO A CLIMAX. THE PROBLEM I HAVE THERE RECENTLY SEEMS TO BE TOO MANY. THIS SEEMS TO DILUTE THE FEATS OF SOME OF ITS GLORY. MARTINEZ DESERVES HIS YES YES

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Cubs vs Expos

Does anyone remember the game between the Cubs and the Montreal Expos around the 80's in which the Cubs came from way behind in the 9th inning to win the game? Cubs were down by about 8 to 12 runs. Most fans had left the park by late in the game when the Cubs finally got a hit with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. Game was uneventful for the Cubs in which Montreal dominated the game. I'm looking for the date of this game and if there is any available article out there about it.

• • •

AS A CUBS FAN THIS IS SOMETHING WORTH RESEARCHING. IT CERTAINLY WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT VICTORY AND HAD THAT BEEN THE CUSTOM AT THAT TIME THE VICTORY SONG WOULD HAVE BEEN SUNG. TOO BAD SOME OF THOSE RUNS COULDNT HAVE BEEN SAVED TO BE SCORED AT THE METS GAMES 2015

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device