View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: 50 Greatest Yankee Moments. July 23, 1957. Mantle hits for the cycle.

At first mantles homer appeared to be out of the park but bob shepherd came on the PA & said it landed a few rows short of the back wall left of the Yankee bullpen

— John Prescott , 04/23/2014 at 11:05 AM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Re: 1967 AL Pennant Race. October 1st. The Red Sox win the pennant behind Lonborg's 22nd win and 4 for 4 day by Carl Yastrzemski, who also wins the triple crown.

Dean Chance was the pitcher for the Twins. He is my high school team mate and very good friend. So of course this has to be for me the most memorable game. dean had a 2-0 lead going into last of 6 th inning. almost pitched TWINS INTO the world series.but red sox rallied and won. I WAS VERY SAD. but the tide turned against dean and Twins.sox won 67 pennant

— Jim Martin, 04/22/2014 at 2:30 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Re: Cleveland Indians versus Detroit Tigers - July 4, 1958 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Ty Cobb is in attendance. He accompanied the Detroit Tigers after the old timers game on June 28 in Detroit's Briggs field. Detroit's third baseman, Ozzie Virgil, breaks a bat. Ty Cobb autographs the bat for a Cleveland Transit Authority bus driver, Joseph Mizick.

— tony zaccardelli, 04/21/2014 at 2:00 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

I was not even a teenager living in Anchorage, Alaska with only a transistor radio to get the results. The Tigers lost the pennant on the last day of the season. This was probably the biggest disappointment so far in my young life. I endured an adult size dose of depression for the next few months.

— Gale Helge, 04/18/2014 at 11:39 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Re: Los Angeles Dodgers versus Cincinnati Reds - September 29, 1965 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Koufax pitched a two hit shut out over the Cincinatti Reds taking them 5-0 with Maury Wills getting the key hit, a three run triple.

— Josh Pierce, 04/09/2014 at 11:15 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Miami Marlins versus Detroit Tigers - September 29, 2013 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Henderson Alvarez pitches 9 no-hit innings for the Marlins against the visiting Tigers, but the game isn't over since it is a scoreless tie. In the bottom of the ninth the Marlins score a run on a bases-loaded wild pitch, and Alvarez gets his no hitter while standing in the on-deck circle!

— Dave Klement, 04/08/2014 at 11:01 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Los Angeles Dodgers versus St. Louis Cardinals - September 30, 1962 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I'm just looking at the lineups; what great players. I was at the game & sat above 3rd base. Padres pitched a great game-I think it was on his birthday. I recall listening to the post-game show. Oliver said he wished the Dodgers had won the pennant. It was so ironic and seemed to
I'm just looking at the lineups; what great players. I was at the game & sat above 3rd base. I recall the post-game show on KFI when Oliver said he wished the Dodgers had won the pennant. It was so ironic and made the bitterness worse.

— curtis martin, 04/01/2014 at 8:59 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Seattle Mariners versus Chicago White Sox - June 5, 2013 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Nobody scores for the first 13 innings. Then the White Sox score 5 in the top of the 14th, and the Mariners come back with 5 in the bottom of the 14th!

— Dave Klement, 04/01/2014 at 1:12 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Tampa Bay Rays versus San Diego Padres - May 10, 2013 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

In the 3rd inning Alex Cobb strikes out 4, but still allows a run after the first strikeout reaches first base, and then SB, SB, and balk.

— Dave Klement, 04/01/2014 at 1:05 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Minnesota Twins versus New York Yankees - July 7, 1984 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I would love the video from that game. Any luck?? My husband and I were filmed continuously throughout the game. Thank you!!!

— Antonietta, 03/23/2014 at 6:06 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Recent Conversations

In July there was a terrible civil disturbance and the city was a scary place all of a sudden. If there was not a riot, there would have been 55,000 at the park. People were afraid to go downtown as it was too soon after a week of looting, fires, and 44 people killed. The weather caused the Tigers to play back to back twin bills and in the second game on Saturday, their bullpen blew a four run lead, including a bonehead play by pitcher Hank Aguirre who had a chance to turn a double play on a comebacker to the mound and instead threw home for a bases loaded force out. The Angels then knocked in the go ahead and winning runs afterwards. It was a game Detroit should have won but the Angels and Bill RIgney really were geared up to spoil the Tigers chances. Marginal left hand hitters like Roger Repoz, Jimmie Hall, and a fair ball player like Don Mincher just loved Tiger Stadium and it's inviting right field porch in the series. With the split on Saturday, the Tigers had to win both games o

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Los Angeles Dodgers versus St. Louis Cardinals - September 30, 1962

I was sitting in the blue section up high and way down the left field line. In the 8th, Gene Oliver hit what looked like a lazy fly ball right down the left field line. It looked deep, but I thought the field would hold it. Tommy Davis disappeared from view and I was unable to see if he caught it or if it was fair or foul, but from the sound of the crowd, I knew it had cleared the fence. I turned to my best friend Glenn Mauer and said, "I think we're in trouble, I don't think we can beat the Giants in a playoff." I then went to the concession stand and bought a 'Crying Towel', the last one I've ever seen for sale. It had all the 62 Dodger players names on it, and there was a wooden dowel across the top and a braded golden rope to hang it from. It disappeared in one of the moves my mother made when I was in Viet Nam. For the last 10, I've been looking to replace it. I had just turned 15 years-old five days before the game. Glenn's parents had taken me to the game for my birthday.

• • •

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Cleveland Indians versus Minnesota Twins - August 25, 1967

I saw this game with one of my best friends and grandfather. I remember little about how the game went, after all that was 45 years ago, but do recall that it was extremely boring as no-hitters can be! I've been to very few MLB games and this was one, imagine that, I saw a no-hitter.

• • •

i am sorry you found it boring.i wasn't there that night but for me it will always exciting as dean chance who pitched the no hit game is my high school team mate and very good friend.so there is a personal connection for me

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Atlanta Braves versus Los Angeles Dodgers - April 8, 1974

What about the coaches on 1st and 3rd bases on that historic day? ( or any other day of the season) They were to ones actively coaching the game... the games did not pause to check with the manager in the dugout.... then conclude the play.
And they got ripped if they screwed up.
Seems like an oversight NOT to list them to me.
Thanks ...DBW

• • •

We agree that coaches would be nice addition. Unfortunately, however, coaches are not listed in the Retrosheet data upon which we rely to get our basic info.

1 response. Join this conversation ►

New York Yankees versus Kansas City Athletics - September 20, 1964

My first ever baseball game!

I was 7 years old and to this day can recall the emotions of seeing the field as I arrived at my seat through the tunnel!

• • •

I experienced the same exact excitement ,just 2 years earlier
and one year older. Coming up from the dark corridor and then seeing that field is burned in my memory.I to this day
haven't seen colors as bright as that day!Red clay infield
and the color of the KC uniforms yellow and green.Thanks for the memory Bob !

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device