View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates versus St. Louis Cardinals - September 3, 1973 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Was at this double-header with my Dad. Three Rivers went crazy after Richie Hebner's inside - the - park home run in the bottom of the 13th to win the first game. When they interviewed him on KDKA's evening news, he said, "I was runnin' around the bases like a cop was chasing me."

— Chris Jerin, 08/26/2015 at 3:32 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

August 7 1965

This was my first Tiger game. My dad took me I was 7 years old. I rmember it like it was yesterday. The green of the grass,the white of the uniforms and the smell of hotdogs in the air. The Mick even Homered in the 5th,4 rows below where I was sitting in left. I was hooked !

— Greg, 08/24/2015 at 10:51 AM

Re: New York Yankees versus Cleveland Indians - July 16, 1959 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

From Boston Globe of July 17, 1959. " Mantle then put it away with two out after Bobby Richardson singled in the 10th, hitting his first home run since June 23..."

— Ken Revis, 08/15/2015 at 4:19 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

As you say, all the sources show that it was Richardson hitting the single. Kubek had one single that day, but was not on base when Mantle hit his home run. Have you checked the New York Times historical archives?

— Ken Revis, 08/15/2015 at 10:26 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

I remember this game like it was yesterday. It was the first time I went to Yankee Stadium. I was 10 years old. In the 10th inning I left my seat and walked to the front railing close to home plate on the first base side. I stood there and watched the game. I was as close as you can get to home plate. Nobody bothered me probably because I was so young. Here's my problem: I have a vivid memory of Tony Kubek hitting a single and being on first prior to Mantle's home run that ended the game. However all the accounts of the game have Bobby Richardson hitting the single before Mantle's homer. I was a yankee fan since the age of eight and knew the players well. Kubek batted left and Richardson right plus Kubek was taller. I certainly could not mistake one for the other. I am very puzzled by this. I can't believe my memory could be faulty since it has always been vivid in my mind since that day. Could you help?

— Larry Kleiman, 08/15/2015 at 6:00 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago Cubs versus Florida Marlins - October 14, 2003 - Playoffs Lineup and other Game Information

GAME WAS RAINED OUT.SO MUCH FOR MY COMPLAINT SO I HOPE THERE ARE OTHERS THAT SHARE MY CONCERN ABUT BEING DENIED A GAME WE WANT TO SEE AND CANT AND THERE IS NO GOOD REASON

— JIM MARTIN, 08/04/2015 at 7:14 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF BLACKOUT PROBLEM.CUBS D.H. FIRST GAME ON LOCAL CHANNEL THAT CARRIES WGN FEED SHOWED GAME, ALSO MLB CHANNEL ALSO HAD GAME. THE SECOND GAME NOT ON LOCAL CHANNEL BUT WAS ON MLB AGAIN EXCEPT NOT ON OUR CABLE SYSTEM MAKES NO SENSE.DUPLICATE COVERAGE THEN NONE.

— JIM MARTIN, 08/03/2015 at 8:13 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

ESPN PIRATES-CUBS GAME BLACKED OUT 8-3-15 ON MY TV TONIGHT.I CANT VIEW THIS ANY OTHER WAY BECAUSE IN MY AREA WE ONLY GET WGN FEEDS. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY IM DENIED THIS GAME. I COULD UNDERSTAND IF GAME WAS ON BY REGULAR STATION BUT ITS NOT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL shame

— JIM MARTIN, 08/03/2015 at 7:16 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Most Consecutive At-Bats with a Hit

You're right. Pinky Higgins did get 12 consecutive hits in 1938. However, my post was referring to consecutive hits without a base on balls. Therefore, 12 consecutive hits in 12 appearances. I will correct this in the post. Thank you.

— Ken Revis, 07/28/2015 at 1:49 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Re: A New York Memory

To Sara: We have a couple of things in common. I also sat in the upper deck behind the plate. And what a bargain it was (especially for double-headers), only $1.25. For you it was just a quarter on Ladies Day. I remember Mel Allen saying "Mom and daughter each for a quarter". And they were great seats. When there were small crowds you could sit in the upper deck box seats. And my brother also got an Andy Carey foul ball.

— Richard Chester, 07/24/2015 at 12:34 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Recent Conversations

August 7 1965

No responses yet. Join the conversation ►

New York Yankees versus Cleveland Indians - July 16, 1959

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Chicago Cubs versus Florida Marlins - October 14, 2003

this is the Bartman game. fast-forward to the 8th and you can still hear the echoes of Cubs' fans breaking hearts.

• • •

7 responses. Join this conversation ►

Most Consecutive At-Bats with a Hit

Nice post!

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Boston Red Sox versus Minnesota Twins - October 1, 1967

this game is the most memorable game to me.dean chance is my friend and high school teammate .for me it will always be the most exciting game having a personal friend involved.i was very very sad at twins loss.would have been world series for them.but thats the way it works out still just a game--jim martin

• • •

THIS WAS LAST GAME OF SEASON. TWINS AND RED SOX TIED FOR A.L.LEAD. WINNER WENT DIRECTLY INTO WORLD SERIES THIS WAS BEFORE PLAYOFF FORMAT.AFTER 161 REGULAR SEASON GAMES GAME 162 WAS FOR DIRECT WORLD SERIES TRIP FOR WINNER. MY FRIEND DEAN CHANCE GOT BEAT BY RED SOX EXCITING

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device