View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: New York Yankees versus California Angels - July 23, 1966 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

My first Yankee and my hero mickey mantle hits a grand slam met him latter on in life

— steve plancey, 07/19/2014 at 8:49 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: New York Yankees versus Minnesota Twins - May 18, 1962 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Was There.With 2 Out In 9th Inning, Mickey Mantle Tried To Beat Out An Infield Single. About 10 Feet From First Base,He Tore A Leg Muscle And Fell Face Down Running Full Speed! Will NEVER Forget That Moment.It Looked Like He Was Shot! A Scary Sight To See. I Was (Nearly) 9 Years Old. (He Did Come Back To Win MVP That Year).

— STEVE PASTORE, 07/15/2014 at 10:50 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Boston Red Sox versus Cleveland Indians - August 25, 1960 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

My first MLB game at eight years old. My dad took me with two cousins .I remember Ted Williams, Vic Wertz's grand slam and bald head plus Don Newcombe too.Lots of great names in this game and only time I saw Ted Williams.

— Steve lombardi, 07/15/2014 at 9:33 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: New York Yankees versus Boston Red Sox - September 6, 2003 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This game was my 1st game I ever saw at Yankee Stadium. I am a huge Yankee fan. I started following the Yankees in 1960. When the Pirates beat the Yankees in 7 games I cried. I was 10 yrs. old. I have followed the Yankees ever since. We had great seats right behind home plate behind the screen near the field. I still get goosebumps thinking about the 1st time I saw Yankee Stadium. I just recently found out that my wife spent 1000 dollars on these tickets. I guess she loves me. This game was also on my birthday. Even though they lost 11-0 I had a great time. My wife and I spent some time in New York City also. We had a great time sightseeing. PRICELESS!!

— Clifford Provost, 07/15/2014 at 7:43 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Cleveland Indians versus Detroit Tigers - June 24, 1968 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I have to correct my own comment regarding Jim Northrups 3rd plate appearance with the bases loaded- I confused this game with the June 29, 1968 game where Northrup had a a third grand slam in the same week. He had another plate appearance with the bases loaded in THAT game but he struck out. Seems like Northrup was always coming up with the bases loaded that year and most of the time, he delivered. Thanks to this program, I am able to re-live these games (and refresh my faulty memory!) love it!

— Peter Hilss, 07/15/2014 at 1:27 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

I remember listening to this game on the radio and Jim Northrup actually came up with the bases loaded for a third time (after his two grand slams) but he made on out on that plate appearance (don't recall how he was retired)

— Peter Hilss, 07/15/2014 at 12:55 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Philadelphia Phillies versus San Francisco Giants - July 13, 1991 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I love this game. Darren Lewis made his debut (with no name on his jersey) for the Giants... Rod Beck in his first appearance of his second (and ultimately permanent) recall from the minors... Will Clark and John Kruk both hunting for the NL batting crown... Rain delay of nearly two hours... Greg Litton's birthday... Home plate umpire Jerry Crawford nearly threw out Phillies' pitching coach Johnny Podres in the first inning for arguing pitches from the dugout. Crawford was captured on TV yelling into the dugout, "We don't need you here!"

— Kevin Lacy, 07/08/2014 at 9:03 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Minnesota Twins versus New York Yankees - August 1, 1964 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

The only baseball game that my Dad and I attended was this game. My mother was also there along with my 5 year old brother, Mike. At the time I was 14. I remember very little of the game other than being there. One play did stick with me and that was Mickey Mantle stealing 3rd base uncontested. I know he also hit a home run but memory of that escapes me.

— Daniel Krenn, 07/06/2014 at 3:21 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago White Sox versus New York Yankees - July 1, 1990 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Andy Hawkins pitched the sixth no-hitter in the majors this season and the third in less than 48 hours, but lost 4-0 to the Chicago White Sox on two outfield errors in the eighth inning.

— Dave Klement, 07/02/2014 at 11:25 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Cleveland Indians versus Baltimore Orioles - July 2, 1962 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I kept score of this game from my home in Connecticut, listening to the Orioles radio broadcast on WBAL. The page of the Orioles batters is beautiful, 3 batters 3 outs in each inning. I think it was just as good as any no-hitter.

— Jim Bitgood, 06/29/2014 at 5:34 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Recent Conversations

New York Yankees versus California Angels - July 23, 1966

It gives me great joy to see Mickey Mantle hit that grand slam again on the computer game! I was at that game, which was Old Timers Day commemorating the 25th anniversary of Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak.
The Daily News caption under photo of Mickey hitting this home run read, "Full House, Hearts Showing and Grand Slam for Mickey!" There is not a crowd anywhere today that can rival the crown noise that came with Bob Shepard announcing, " Now batting for the Yankees, number 7, Mickey Mantle". The crowd always cheered the loudest for him. He will always be my hero!

• • •

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Cleveland Indians versus Detroit Tigers - June 24, 1968

• • •

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Cleveland Indians versus Baltimore Orioles - July 2, 1962

I was 12 years old and attended the game with my stepdad sitting in the upperdeck down the 3rd baseline at the old (and nearly empty) Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Dick Donovan pitched a two hit shutout while facing the minimum of 27 batters. Whitey Herzog got two singles being doubled up on one and thrown out attempting to steal on the other. Willie Tasby broke up the scoreless game with a homer over the centerfield fence in the bottom of the 8th. Woody Held singled home an insurance run later in the the same inning. This remains the best pitched game I've ever witnessed personally in my 55+ years of following the Indians. That includes the back to back one hitters I saw Sam McDowell pitch in 1967.

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Chicago Cubs versus Cincinnati Reds - July 2, 1967

The day was July 2, 1967. The Cubs were playing the final game of a 12 game homestand of which they had already won 10. Jenkins on the mound. Cubs hadn't finished in the first division since 1946. That day they won 4-1 and for a brief time the Cubs pennant topped the National league. No fans left the stadium until the Cub Pennant was raised above St. Louis. My greatest Cub memory

• • •

The MOST memorable game I've ever seen at Wrigley Field. "Change that flag! Change that flag!" the Cub fans shouted until the staff put the Cub pennant above St.Louis'. We had to park around Southport -rare at that time. It literally looked like a freedom march walking to the ball park. We PAID someone to let us in line for the bleachers. It was said that 10,000 were turned away at the gate that day! Announced attendance was over 36,000 - There were over 41,000 if there was any! After the game, fans poured onto the field, even hanging down from the bleachers (this was before the basket and the main reason for it in 1970). Ernie Banks was on the DL but led a parade after the game outside Wrigley Field. What an experience! Sweet for me as my first games at Wrigley Field were 10 years earlier, vs the Reds and the Cubs lost a Sunday double-header. I doubt I will be there when they clinch a NL pennant, and at age 66, maybe not able to enjoy it in this world. My mouth got dry despite drinkin

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Seattle Mariners versus Chicago White Sox - June 5, 2013

Nobody scores for the first 13 innings. Then the White Sox score 5 in the top of the 14th, and the Mariners come back with 5 in the bottom of the 14th!

• • •

Yes i remember this very much. I watched it on WGN TV. going into 14th inning score was 0-0. WHITE SOX scored 5 runs only for MARINERS score 5 runs in bottom of 14th. HAWK had a fit.WHITE SOX scored 2 runs in 16th to win 7-5.Game lasted over 5 hours

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device