View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: Most Consecutive At-Bats with a Hit

Nice post!

— Nikola , 09/29/2014 at 5:20 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Re: Philadelphia Phillies versus Milwaukee Braves - September 24, 1964 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Only just over 17,000 fans watched W. Blasingame beat Jim Bunning while in the thick (and lead) of a rare pennent race for the Phils. J. Torre hit two triples. This would become the 4th loss of a 10 game losing streak to blow the NL pennent! Chi-Chi Olivo would save the game for the Braves.

— Lou Calabrese, 09/24/2014 at 11:17 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Boston Red Sox versus New York Yankees - September 24, 1952 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I need to add to previous comment in reply to Danny Lehrman comment 1952 awareness of baseball. AS Indian fan of the early 50's they had very good teams. only problem was in same league with YANKEES.Finished 2nd to them 51 52 53 55 56.ONLY won 1st in 54 but got swept by GIANTS.Feller Wynn Lemon Garcia Score Rosen Doby Easter Avila great players

— Jim Martin, 09/23/2014 at 2:57 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Danny Lehrman i share your baseball awareness as 1952 also was the start of my baseball awareness. AS i grew up in Ohio the Indians were my team. Then having moved to Michana-- that being Goshen Elkhart South Bend In and Niles MI I've also become Tigers Cubs Sox fans as when they had a reason to root for them. also Dean Chance was HS teammate. So i have reason for being fan of BASEBALL

— Jim Martin, 09/19/2014 at 7:07 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Florida Marlins versus Kansas City Royals - May 18, 2008 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Hi Jim,
Interesting stat you mentioned about MattTupman. I looked him up and he was a catcher for the KCR. He pinch hit in that game batting in the 6th spot and got a single. He had a nice minor league career eventually resigning with the Arizona Diamonbacks in 2009 and playing for the Mobile Baybears in the AA Southern League. You might try Rare Sports Films or google the game to get a video.

— Richard, 09/11/2014 at 12:01 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

As i have stated in other posts Babe Ruths comment that baseball is the only real game.This is his quote on a video i have by HBO films. What other sport would the one and only appearece of a player be of interest to the point of having his bat in a memorable shop. baseball has many many many stats that fans hold dear. NO OTHER SPORT LIKE IT. A TOP FAN

— Jim Martin, 09/10/2014 at 8:24 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Cincinnati Reds versus St. Louis Cardinals - August 28, 1995 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

What a great site - I caught the Homerun that John Mabry hit in this game...

— Jim Mobley, 09/10/2014 at 6:13 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

I ran across an interesting stat a few months ago. Matt Tupman is the last player to record a base hit in his only major league at bat. It has not happened too often only 21 times in the history of baseball dating back to 1874. And only 4 times since 1950. I found myself after clicking a link in a obscure sports memorabilia shop and ran across the actual game bat that was used for that once in a lifetime event for Matt Tupman so I bought the bat. It is signed by him also. Kinda cool I thought. Just wondered if anyone was there that day or if anyone knows where to get a video of the game.

— Jim Mobley, 09/10/2014 at 3:17 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Milwaukee Braves versus Cincinnati Reds - April 21, 1957 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

The Braves took 3 games from the Reds and won this game 3-1. Del Crandall led the braves going 2-3 with a double and 2 RBI'S.

Note: Warren Spahn, the pitcher in this game, is rated #3 in the all time Braves list with a WAR of 99.

— Richard, 09/09/2014 at 1:03 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Stats for best player

Sabermetrics are being more widely accepted to determine a players value. What do think is the best stat or stats to use in determining who is a teams best player?

Richard- CLW, FL / MPS, MN

— Richard, 09/09/2014 at 7:09 AM

Recent Conversations

Boston Red Sox versus New York Yankees - September 24, 1952

Irv Noren + Allie Reynolds were my favYanks in '52, my first season of baseball awareness. Mel Parnell was my fav Red Sox that year.

• • •

3 responses. Join this conversation ►

Florida Marlins versus Kansas City Royals - May 18, 2008

• • •

Hi Jim,

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Stats for best player

Richard- CLW, FL / MPS, MN

No responses yet. Join the conversation ►

New York Yankees versus Brooklyn Dodgers - October 8, 1956

I know that Don Larsen's pitch-count in his perfect game of the 1956 series was 97. But, I've searched high and low and have failed to find Sal Maglie's pitch-count in the same game. What was it, please and thank you?
I await your asap, in not sooner, reply. Cordially,

Murray Treloar
Saugeen Shores, Ontario, Canada.

• • •

Hi Murray,
The Baseball Reference site is one of the best and they do not list Sal "the Barbers" pitch count. He faced 29 batters in that game so hope that helps. Also Rare Sports Films has a DVD and radio call of the game and you could count out the pitches and batters to find Maglie's pitch count. Have a good day.

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Chicago Cubs versus Cincinnati Reds - July 2, 1967

The day was July 2, 1967. The Cubs were playing the final game of a 12 game homestand of which they had already won 10. Jenkins on the mound. Cubs hadn't finished in the first division since 1946. That day they won 4-1 and for a brief time the Cubs pennant topped the National league. No fans left the stadium until the Cub Pennant was raised above St. Louis. My greatest Cub memory

• • •

I remember listening to this game on WGN radio.Announcers Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreau went wildly mad with excitement. Cubs actually took lead in National LEAGUE PENNANT race. This was before division format.For a brief period in race Cubs actually in FIRST PLACE.All were excited but was not to last.But still wonderful memory

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device