View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: Oakland Athletics versus California Angels - October 1, 1976 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Best game I ever saw. Both pitchers were masterful, their determination visible. It was hard to see either lose.

— Nicolas Clifford, 08/29/2014 at 3:10 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago White Sox versus Cleveland Indians - July 5, 1965 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

We attended this game.Was a very close game Indians ahead 1-0 going into bottom of 7th inning. Skowron on with single.Hansen laid bunt down and McDowell over threw 1st base and ball rolled down RF line.Your description said he JUGGLED ball. No he overthrew. How else would Skowron have scored all way from 1st base?Sox won 3-1good win

— Jim Martin, 08/25/2014 at 6:53 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago Cubs versus Cincinnati Reds - July 2, 1967 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I remember listening to this game on WGN radio.Announcers Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreau went wildly mad with excitement. Cubs actually took lead in National LEAGUE PENNANT race. This was before division format.For a brief period in race Cubs actually in FIRST PLACE.All were excited but was not to last.But still wonderful memory

— Jim Martin, 08/25/2014 at 5:52 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Back to Baseball Tidbits

I like baseball, especially the stolen bases.

— Marc, 08/18/2014 at 2:28 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Re: Seattle Mariners versus Kansas City Royals - June 5, 1989 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

THE GREATEST THROW IN BASEBALL HISTORY.

— Mike, 08/17/2014 at 1:48 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Los Angeles Dodgers versus St. Louis Cardinals - August 16, 1964 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

My first major league baseball game. Saw a double header: Was in the Navy stationed at Long Beach. The world champion Dodgers '63 vs the would be champions, St. Louis Cardinals later that year ('64) How can I obtain a copy of this score sheet? Thanks

— Dale Meador, 08/16/2014 at 5:10 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago White Sox versus New York Yankees - August 29, 1957 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This was the first game my Dad took me to see, when I was a kid. Including Whitey Ford (who pitched 5 innings of relief) and the two managers, there were 9 Hall-of-Famers in that game! I have a framed replica of the Aug 30, 1957, Chicago Daily Tribune's front sports page hanging on my wall, with 6 photos from that game. 50 years later, on August 29, 2007, I got my first foul ball at a Giants game in SF.

— Steve Cowan, 08/16/2014 at 2:22 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates versus Chicago Cubs - June 28, 1970 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Please be sure to make a special note or asterisk indicating that this is the final game played at Forbes Field.

— Jeff Barto, 08/09/2014 at 10:16 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: New York Yankees versus Kansas City Athletics - June 11, 1959 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I was at the game visiting from KC. I was surprised at the number of fans rooting against the Yankees. I saw the impressive catch that Herzog made. So did New York Herald Tribune Photographer Ted Kell. A blow up of his photo has adorned the wall of Dixon's Famous Chili Parlor in Kansas City for many years. I have been searching for a print of my own which is why I am here. I did not remember Herzog having to be replaced but this SI article tells the story. http://www.si.com/vault/1959/06/22/607159/catch-as-catch-can

— David Easterday, 08/09/2014 at 12:02 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago White Sox versus New York Yankees - May 4, 1957 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Andy Carey's homer in the fifth inning was a blast off the left field upper deck façade. The ball bounce off the façade back toward the infield. This game was play on a very cold day. I would say a bitter cold day in Chicago.

— Robert Fenili, 08/05/2014 at 11:22 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Recent Conversations

Chicago Cubs versus Cincinnati Reds - July 2, 1967

The day was July 2, 1967. The Cubs were playing the final game of a 12 game homestand of which they had already won 10. Jenkins on the mound. Cubs hadn't finished in the first division since 1946. That day they won 4-1 and for a brief time the Cubs pennant topped the National league. No fans left the stadium until the Cub Pennant was raised above St. Louis. My greatest Cub memory

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

New York Yankees versus Kansas City Athletics - June 11, 1959

Why did Dick Williams replace Whitey Herzog in the bottom of the fourth inning (after Berra made first out lining to Herzog)? In the first baseball game I ever attended, between KC and NY, Whitey Herzog came out of the game after running into the RF wall. Was this the game?

• • •

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Cincinnati Reds versus Chicago Cubs - July 12, 1979

Game was supposed to start at 8:05 pm EDT.
Game actually ended at 2:55 am EDT.
Game actually started at 10:21 pm due to rain delay. Two additional rain delays during the game.
Based on actual time of game played it is not long, but from original start time to actual end time it was 6:50, which could be construed as the longest non-suspended game in Cubs history.
Same night as Disco Demolition at Comiskey Park.

• • •

I will reply to the demolition-disco game comment. Yes i remember this very much.This was twi-night double header between Tigers -White Sox.I was going to watch 2nd game as WKZO Kalamazoo was televising tigers games.But back then there would only be like 1 game a week on TV.Because of promotion gone bad had to forfeit. so no game to be watched

1 response. Join this conversation ►

New York Yankees versus Cleveland Indians - June 28, 1980

I was at this game at Yankee Stadium.Growing up in New York I must have attended over 200 to 250 games in my lifetime. This was a memorable night when Cleveland outfielder Joe Charboneau hit the longest home run I had ever seen in the 2nd inning against Tom Underwood . I will never forget that home run

• • •

That home run by Joe Charboneau was into the third deck at old Yankee Stadium.This was only the Third time it was reached. Previously only JIMMIE FOXX and FRANK HOWARD had hit there. Charboneau was rookie of year 1980. Was one year wonder Holds record for fewest career games played by rookie of year winner. also was quite a character.

1 response. Join this conversation ►

New York Yankees versus Boston Red Sox - September 6, 2003

This game was my 1st game I ever saw at Yankee Stadium. I am a huge Yankee fan. I started following the Yankees in 1960. When the Pirates beat the Yankees in 7 games I cried. I was 10 yrs. old. I have followed the Yankees ever since. We had great seats right behind home plate behind the screen near the field. I still get goosebumps thinking about the 1st time I saw Yankee Stadium. I just recently found out that my wife spent 1000 dollars on these tickets. I guess she loves me. This game was also on my birthday. Even though they lost 11-0 I had a great time. My wife and I spent some time in New York City also. We had a great time sightseeing. PRICELESS!!

• • •

I need to post correction to previous statement. It was Yankees victory of 16- 3 and not 16-0 as i had stated. Pirates victories were close over yankees and Yankees were blowouts. still Pirates were the 1960 world champs so i give them credit for that.

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device