View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: Philadelphia Phillies versus Brooklyn Dodgers - September 30, 1951 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This is the first game I ever saw! I was 8 years old, sat in the left field upper deck. What I remember is the Campanella triple to center right under me and Robinson's home run in the 14th to my right.

— bill mcknight, 03/11/2015 at 9:56 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Boston Red Sox versus Detroit Tigers - April 7, 1988 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I grabbed a fair ball down the right field line in the corner seat hit by Jim Morrison.. I have the ball in my trophy case and found this site. I did have a video but must have recorded over it.
My 15 minutes of fame. everyone left cause the Sox were getting beat.

— Dennis Bean, 02/07/2015 at 4:18 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Atlanta Braves versus Chicago Cubs - August 24, 1990 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

you what time the game start? thanks

— luis eduardo vega, 02/05/2015 at 8:14 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Oakland Athletics versus Cleveland Indians - May 30, 1969 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I went to George Washington HS (New York, NY) with George.
I was the student-manager of the team my last two years. George was a great HS pitcher. Followed his career from the minors up.
Other major leaguers I know went to GW: Arnie Portocarrero, Rod Carew, Manny Ramirez.

— Abe Goteiner, 02/03/2015 at 2:53 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Philadelphia Phillies versus Milwaukee Braves - August 25, 1957 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I have a Type III wire photo of Warren Spahn and Bob Hazle celebrating their victory over the Phillies. Hazle hit two 3-run homers and had 6 RBI that day. The photo shows Spahn hugging Hazle. They are holding 3 baseballs, presumably to honor the 3-run shots.

— Larry McNiesh, 01/31/2015 at 8:31 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago Cubs versus Philadelphia Phillies - July 9, 1961 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Ernie Banks as a great player and an even greater human offers as an example of what can be achieved. He was given opportunity that had not been there for him until 1947 when there was change made for the good of all.The important thing was he had ability to excel,to have the ability to become the super star he was.was always the best ambassador for all!!!

— Jim Martin, 01/26/2015 at 1:32 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

CORRECTION Phils 23 game losing streak in 1961 was from July 29 thru ist game of doubleheader August 20.I should of checked this before I posted the previous comment. Anyways i just felt the need to post my memories of having watch Ernie Banks play in person. He was not only great player but very fine human being. Truly a legend. RIP One of a kind

— Jim Martin, 01/24/2015 at 10:58 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

A sunday double header.Cubs won both games.Phils were in middle of 23 game losing streak.Ernie Banks had 2 hits each game.He was alert at ss position. He roamed around as if to get in best fielding spot at all times.Ball in 2nd game got lost in the vines in center for ground rule double.Games were typical for wrigley field was both teams hit and scored a lot of runs

— Jim Martin, 01/24/2015 at 10:42 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Cleveland Indians versus Detroit Tigers - July 4, 1958 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Anyone remeber this game? Any witnesses to Virgil breaking a bat?? Does anyone remember Ty Cobb at this game????

— tony zaccardelli, 01/20/2015 at 1:00 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

I have a bat cracked by Ozzie Virgil, either this game or other played during this doubleheader. Anyone remember or witness Ty Cobb in the stands?????

— tony zaccardelli, 01/20/2015 at 12:57 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Recent Conversations

Chicago Cubs versus Philadelphia Phillies - July 9, 1961

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Cleveland Indians versus Detroit Tigers - July 4, 1958

Ty Cobb is in attendance. He accompanied the Detroit Tigers after the old timers game on June 28 in Detroit's Briggs field. Detroit's third baseman, Ozzie Virgil, breaks a bat. Ty Cobb autographs the bat for a Cleveland Transit Authority bus driver, Joseph Mizick.

• • •

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Cincinnati Reds versus Chicago Cubs - June 1, 1957

I believe this was the first major league game I attended. I was too young to remember much about it but my older brother told me about the lop-sided score in later years. Interesting that Joe Nuxhall got the save when he came into the game with a 22-2 lead. Also the simulation here is inaccurate as the Reds home dugout was on the 3rd base side at Crosley Field.

• • •

I was at that game. It was a Knothole Club game so I got a free ticket. Hal Jeffcoat hit a home run in the game.

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Boston Red Sox versus Minnesota Twins - October 1, 1967

this game is the most memorable game to me.dean chance is my friend and high school teammate .for me it will always be the most exciting game having a personal friend involved.i was very very sad at twins loss.would have been world series for them.but thats the way it works out still just a game--jim martin

• • •

I was on post patrol with another M.P. at Phu Loi, Vietnam. The other M.P. was from Minnesota and me being a Red Sox fan from Maine, made for a pretty good rivaly. With the time change, we were listening to the game in the middle of the night. Jim was driving and I was in the passengers seat. We parked behind a tented Company compound to listen to the game on my cheap little transister radio. We were hiding as we weren't supposed to be listening to civilian radio's while on duty. In the Military Police Jeep, the toggle switches for the siren and red light were on the panel in front of the shotgun M.P., which was me. When the Red Sox scored their first run, I got all excited and lifted my leg up and hit the switch for the siren. At Phu Loi the siren was the signal for incoming fire. All these troops are running out of their tents and into their bunkers. I finally found the switch in the darkness and got it shut off, but the damage was already done. We got out of there and headed for the

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Philadelphia Phillies versus Milwaukee Braves - September 24, 1964

Only just over 17,000 fans watched W. Blasingame beat Jim Bunning while in the thick (and lead) of a rare pennent race for the Phils. J. Torre hit two triples. This would become the 4th loss of a 10 game losing streak to blow the NL pennent! Chi-Chi Olivo would save the game for the Braves.

• • •

The Phillies were so close to winning the 1964 pennant that i remember world series tickets were even printed. I remember a man i knew had some as a collectors item.But that 10 game losing streak at end of season done them in.Manager Gene Mauck had a track record of his teams blowing pennants. A good manager but unfortunate endings

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device