View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: Most Consecutive At-Bats with a Hit

You're right. Pinky Higgins did get 12 consecutive hits in 1938. However, my post was referring to consecutive hits without a base on balls. Therefore, 12 consecutive hits in 12 appearances. I will correct this in the post. Thank you.

— Ken Revis, 07/28/2015 at 1:49 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Re: A New York Memory

To Sara: We have a couple of things in common. I also sat in the upper deck behind the plate. And what a bargain it was (especially for double-headers), only $1.25. For you it was just a quarter on Ladies Day. I remember Mel Allen saying "Mom and daughter each for a quarter". And they were great seats. When there were small crowds you could sit in the upper deck box seats. And my brother also got an Andy Carey foul ball.

— Richard Chester, 07/24/2015 at 12:34 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Re: Most Consecutive At-Bats with a Hit

Pinky Higgins of the Red Sox got 12 consecutive hits in 1938.

— Richard Chester, 07/23/2015 at 1:17 PM

Reply to this comment / View Blog Post ►

Re: New York Mets versus St. Louis Cardinals - June 20, 1969 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This was the second game I ever attended (the first one being a few weeks earlier on June 2nd vs the Dodgers) as a third grader growing up in Englewood, NJ.

I remember sitting in the left field upper deck and being part of a large crowd (well over 50,000) to see the defending NL champs on this Friday night. By this time, the Mets were comfortably over .500 and the fans were beginning to believe.

The Mets got to Bob Gibson and won the game 4-3....but not before Gibson hit a home run. I had thought that the Mets knocked Gibson out of the game, but apparently not. In doing some more research, I was astounded to see that Gibson made the last out of the game! That's something that you would never see today; the starting pitcher making the last out of the game!

Oh, by the way, the starting pitcher for the Mets was a young Nolan Ryan.

— David Fox, 07/21/2015 at 11:27 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Atlanta Braves versus Los Angeles Dodgers - June 25, 1966 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This was my 1st major league baseball game going with my Mom and Dad to see Don Drysdale pitch. My Dad was a big Dodger fan. I was 8 years old. My memories Drysdale pitching and John Roseboro hitting a homerun.It being a huge crowd and the Braves winning the game. We had tickets to the next day to see Kofax pitch and could not find a hotel room and missed the chance to see Kofax pitch driving home. I am now a huge Braves fan and Dad at 84 is just as much a Braves fan as Dodger fan.

— David Moore, 07/18/2015 at 9:24 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago Cubs versus Florida Marlins - October 14, 2003 - Playoffs Lineup and other Game Information

AS A BASEBALL FAN I AM PUZZLED BY THE LACK OF FELLOW FANS USING THIS HUGE WONDERFUL SITE ALL ABOUT BASEBALL. BEING ABLE TO ACCESS GAMES EITHER AS A PLAY BY PLAY FROM THE ARCHIVES OR A INNING BY INNING RECAP OF GAMES FROM YEARS PAST. I CONSIDER THIS AS A TREASURE OF B.B. INFO

— JIM MARTIN, 07/06/2015 at 2:11 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Boston Red Sox versus Minnesota Twins - October 1, 1967 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

THIS WAS LAST GAME OF SEASON. TWINS AND RED SOX TIED FOR A.L.LEAD. WINNER WENT DIRECTLY INTO WORLD SERIES THIS WAS BEFORE PLAYOFF FORMAT.AFTER 161 REGULAR SEASON GAMES GAME 162 WAS FOR DIRECT WORLD SERIES TRIP FOR WINNER. MY FRIEND DEAN CHANCE GOT BEAT BY RED SOX EXCITING

— JIM Martin, 07/06/2015 at 1:54 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago White Sox versus Texas Rangers - April 18, 2007 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

AJ Pierzynski no hitter 2 current Braves players in lineups Juan uribe and Pierzynski

— Emily petrillo, 06/30/2015 at 10:55 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Washington Senators versus New York Yankees - July 4, 1958 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Mickey Mantle should have won the MVP award in 1958

— Richard Blinkhorn, 06/15/2015 at 8:49 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago Cubs versus Pittsburgh Pirates - June 25, 1972 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

In the top of the sixth. Clemente hit a one-out single. Project Retrosheet incorrectly describes Stargell's hit by reporting, "Stargell hits a line drive into left field. The ball bounces into the stands for a ground rule double. Clemente moves to third." (Think about that. How could a ball bounce into the left field stands at Wrigley Field?) On the ball Stargell hit, someone opened a door that was adjacent to the left-field line, and the ball went through the doorway. The door was then closed. There was no ground rule for this situation, but the umpires ruled that Stargell had to stop at second, and Clemente would have gotten no farther than third if the door had not been opened while the ball was in play.

— Richard Zaborsky, 05/18/2015 at 7:39 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Recent Conversations

Most Consecutive At-Bats with a Hit

Nice post!

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Chicago Cubs versus Florida Marlins - October 14, 2003

this is the Bartman game. fast-forward to the 8th and you can still hear the echoes of Cubs' fans breaking hearts.

• • •

4 responses. Join this conversation ►

Boston Red Sox versus Minnesota Twins - October 1, 1967

this game is the most memorable game to me.dean chance is my friend and high school teammate .for me it will always be the most exciting game having a personal friend involved.i was very very sad at twins loss.would have been world series for them.but thats the way it works out still just a game--jim martin

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Chicago Cubs versus Pittsburgh Pirates - June 25, 1972

The first ball game I ever attended.

• • •

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Die rare loses perfect game in 9th v. Mets 1966

I was an 11 year old and "think " I remember like yesterday.
Question is, after Bressoud moves to 3d on wild pitch, don't Astros bring in infield, and Hunt's " line drive to right" really a hard hit grounder that Morgan misses after going to a knee?

• • •

See my comment under "die loses"

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device