View Mobile Version

Comments and Conversations

Most Recent Comments

Re: California Angels versus Cleveland Indians - August 16, 1969 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Right around this time on a sunday afternoon, The Angels won a 3-1 game when Aurelio Rodriguez got their only hit of the game, a wind blown triple in old colossal Cleveland Municipal. Jim McGlothlin had gone 4 months without a victory. I will look thru this site to confirm what i'm trying to share here.

— rg, 04/23/2015 at 11:16 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Cincinnati Reds versus Atlanta Braves - September 5, 1969 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I was there and ran on the field from my third base seat. I put a beer cup on 2nd base, ran to the right field exit, and suddenly stopped to shake hands with Hank Aaron. Jumped the short railing back into the stands, and quickly grabbed by security. Off to jail by the Cincinnati PD, and faced with trespassing and Disorder Conduct. About 40 members of my “THE Club” took a bus from Skips Tavern in St. Bernard, Ohio to see the Reds and Braves ballgame at Crosley Field. Since I did not return to the bus they figure out I had a problem. On their return, they passed a hat and a few sober ones traveled to the police station and bailed me out. Saw Judge Nurre the next morning the judge dropped the trespassing and I pleaded no contest on the DC. The story would come up every so often among my friends but I never told it outside my circle until I retired. Now it is a great memory and a fun story from September 5, 1969.

— Bud Leonhardt, 04/19/2015 at 4:12 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Brooklyn Dodgers versus New York Giants - May 26, 1957 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This was the first game I ever attended. How well I remember that first glimpse of emerald green grass at Ebbets Field. My father bought two box seats behind first base, and we were close enough to Gil Hodges that he could hear an appreciative fan near us. (He turned in our direction, smiling.) Snider homered for the Dodgers, Ray Jablonski for the Jints, and the Bums prevailed. In my memory the final score was 5-3. Oh yes, the Dodgers' starting pitcher was a local boy who had played baseball and basketball at Lafayette High School: Sandy Koufax.

— David Lehman, 04/18/2015 at 11:54 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Baltimore Orioles versus Boston Red Sox - April 12, 1975 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

How many pitches did Reggie Cleveland throw in his 12 inning performance if you know?

— Scott Remy, 04/11/2015 at 12:25 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Philadelphia Phillies versus Brooklyn Dodgers - September 30, 1951 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

This is the first game I ever saw! I was 8 years old, sat in the left field upper deck. What I remember is the Campanella triple to center right under me and Robinson's home run in the 14th to my right.

— bill mcknight, 03/11/2015 at 9:56 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Boston Red Sox versus Detroit Tigers - April 7, 1988 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I grabbed a fair ball down the right field line in the corner seat hit by Jim Morrison.. I have the ball in my trophy case and found this site. I did have a video but must have recorded over it.
My 15 minutes of fame. everyone left cause the Sox were getting beat.

— Dennis Bean, 02/07/2015 at 4:18 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Atlanta Braves versus Chicago Cubs - August 24, 1990 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

you what time the game start? thanks

— luis eduardo vega, 02/05/2015 at 8:14 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Oakland Athletics versus Cleveland Indians - May 30, 1969 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I went to George Washington HS (New York, NY) with George.
I was the student-manager of the team my last two years. George was a great HS pitcher. Followed his career from the minors up.
Other major leaguers I know went to GW: Arnie Portocarrero, Rod Carew, Manny Ramirez.

— Abe Goteiner, 02/03/2015 at 2:53 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Philadelphia Phillies versus Milwaukee Braves - August 25, 1957 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

I have a Type III wire photo of Warren Spahn and Bob Hazle celebrating their victory over the Phillies. Hazle hit two 3-run homers and had 6 RBI that day. The photo shows Spahn hugging Hazle. They are holding 3 baseballs, presumably to honor the 3-run shots.

— Larry McNiesh, 01/31/2015 at 8:31 AM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Re: Chicago Cubs versus Philadelphia Phillies - July 9, 1961 - Regular Season Lineup and other Game Information

Ernie Banks as a great player and an even greater human offers as an example of what can be achieved. He was given opportunity that had not been there for him until 1947 when there was change made for the good of all.The important thing was he had ability to excel,to have the ability to become the super star he was.was always the best ambassador for all!!!

— Jim Martin, 01/26/2015 at 1:32 PM

Reply to this comment / View Game / ►

Recent Conversations

Chicago Cubs versus Philadelphia Phillies - July 9, 1961

A sunday double header.Cubs won both games.Phils were in middle of 23 game losing streak.Ernie Banks had 2 hits each game.He was alert at ss position. He roamed around as if to get in best fielding spot at all times.Ball in 2nd game got lost in the vines in center for ground rule double.Games were typical for wrigley field was both teams hit and scored a lot of runs

• • •

2 responses. Join this conversation ►

Cleveland Indians versus Detroit Tigers - July 4, 1958

Ty Cobb is in attendance. He accompanied the Detroit Tigers after the old timers game on June 28 in Detroit's Briggs field. Detroit's third baseman, Ozzie Virgil, breaks a bat. Ty Cobb autographs the bat for a Cleveland Transit Authority bus driver, Joseph Mizick.

• • •

Anyone remeber this game? Any witnesses to Virgil breaking a bat?? Does anyone remember Ty Cobb at this game????

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Cincinnati Reds versus Chicago Cubs - June 1, 1957

I believe this was the first major league game I attended. I was too young to remember much about it but my older brother told me about the lop-sided score in later years. Interesting that Joe Nuxhall got the save when he came into the game with a 22-2 lead. Also the simulation here is inaccurate as the Reds home dugout was on the 3rd base side at Crosley Field.

• • •

I was at that game. It was a Knothole Club game so I got a free ticket. Hal Jeffcoat hit a home run in the game.

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Boston Red Sox versus Minnesota Twins - October 1, 1967

this game is the most memorable game to me.dean chance is my friend and high school teammate .for me it will always be the most exciting game having a personal friend involved.i was very very sad at twins loss.would have been world series for them.but thats the way it works out still just a game--jim martin

• • •

I was on post patrol with another M.P. at Phu Loi, Vietnam. The other M.P. was from Minnesota and me being a Red Sox fan from Maine, made for a pretty good rivaly. With the time change, we were listening to the game in the middle of the night. Jim was driving and I was in the passengers seat. We parked behind a tented Company compound to listen to the game on my cheap little transister radio. We were hiding as we weren't supposed to be listening to civilian radio's while on duty. In the Military Police Jeep, the toggle switches for the siren and red light were on the panel in front of the shotgun M.P., which was me. When the Red Sox scored their first run, I got all excited and lifted my leg up and hit the switch for the siren. At Phu Loi the siren was the signal for incoming fire. All these troops are running out of their tents and into their bunkers. I finally found the switch in the darkness and got it shut off, but the damage was already done. We got out of there and headed for the

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Philadelphia Phillies versus Milwaukee Braves - September 24, 1964

Only just over 17,000 fans watched W. Blasingame beat Jim Bunning while in the thick (and lead) of a rare pennent race for the Phils. J. Torre hit two triples. This would become the 4th loss of a 10 game losing streak to blow the NL pennent! Chi-Chi Olivo would save the game for the Braves.

• • •

The Phillies were so close to winning the 1964 pennant that i remember world series tickets were even printed. I remember a man i knew had some as a collectors item.But that 10 game losing streak at end of season done them in.Manager Gene Mauck had a track record of his teams blowing pennants. A good manager but unfortunate endings

1 response. Join this conversation ►

Start a New Conversation

will not be visible to others

Formatting - You can use these html tags:
<b>bold text</b>, <i>italic text</i>

See our new app available in both iPhone and Android. Simply enter backtobaseball in search box on your mobile device